Update of Sullivan Garden
I haven’t updated the status of Sullivan Prek’s garden in some time so I thought this week I’d highlight the successes and challenges.
The garden is slowly but surely coming together since its genesis in September 2014. It’s been a lot of work for me but I have a trusty volunteer – Dee – who comes by around twice a month to help carry the load (she is my hero!). Last year my trouble was the plants growing very unhappily; turning up the irrigation helped but mushrooms loved growing in the moist beds instead, which forced me to lower the time. Adding micro spray heads to the irrigation line improved the happiness of the veggies, flowers and herbs significantly but then this brought upon us a weed catastrophe! So from summer until around October of 2015, Dee and I fought against endless nutsedge and crabgrass; consistent weeding and adjusting the time of the irrigation system once more improved this situation.
Still, my problem was harvest yield. To give you some perspective, this garden has fourteen 7 ft by 3 ft beds. You’d think with all this space I’d be harvesting by the tons! But not so. Thus, this year I endeavor to improve my techniques for planting crops and fertilizing accordingly!!
Step number one: Amending the Soil
This garden has yet to be amended since the beginning, so I took it upon myself to begin this month, fertilizing one bed at a time. Today, I mixed in Gro-Power and a new bag if potting mix to a half-bed and planted new lettuce plugs. I except happy returns as these plants finally flourish in healthy soil!!
Step number two: Planting Smart
I’ve begun to plant baby starts in a zigzag so as to increase use of space. I’m also keeping same varieties together (a salad bed, a strawberry bed, an herb bed, a tomato bed, etc) versus planting different crops in the same area. This method makes harvesting easier/quicker/more efficient because I don’t have to walk the entire garden to harvest the one thing that is ready to pick. It also increases yield because the same kinds of plants can be arranged closer together. I’ve had success at Foster and expect the same here at Sullivan.
I’ll be keepin’ y’all updated on the progress 🙂
– Ranger Hope
By Yancy Comins |
By enrichla |
By Alex Aleshire |
By Alex Aleshire |
By Claire Gavin |
By Hillary Williams |
By Yancy Comins |
Bruschetta is an antipasto (starter dish) from Italy consisting of grilled bread rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil and salt. The wonderful kids and I at Kingsley Elementary made this classic dish today. Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil Recipe Prep time: 15 minutesCook time: 20 minutesYield: Makes 24 small slices, serves 6-10 as an…
When teaching about gardening, it is impossible to engage students if they don’t know what part of a plant I am talking about! For this lesson, I covered the parts of a plant. I discussed the roots, stem, leaves, fruit and flowers. I brought in a dug up mallow plant (to show roots, stem, leaves),…
Beets are rad(ish)! This year, Valentine’s Day was full of nostalgic excitement, as I remembered my days of elementary school, full of sugary candy and a “holiday”. This was my first year teaching on Valentines Day, and I wanted to share something special with the students of 2nd Street Elementary. I decided to do a…
For this lesson, I planned to cover plant reproduction via parts of a flower. This was the first lesson that required thinking on my toes and adapting my plan (something that I am quickly learning). I drew out a picture and went over the descriptions. The pre-K and 2nd graders were lost and distracted. They…
Valentines Day at Gardener School Love Nature. We showed our love for nature at Gardener School. The students were allowed to pick the most interesting leaf in the garden from any place in the garden and they had to write something to it like a poem or a love letter. Ms. Thaviphone class created leaf…
2nd-grade class: We visited the three compost bins in the garden. Finding Mr. Brown carbon examples and Mr. Green Nitrogen examples to put in the bins. They gathered brown leaves from the ground and picked three things to identify which it was carbon or nitrogen. We also looked at a compost thermometer, talking about the…
Talk to the class about pollination today. The kids identified the stamen and pollen on the flowers in the garden. They also took herbs from the garden lemon balm, mint, lavender, sage. They also identified the pollen on some herb plants.
We cleaned up the beds and Ms. Chelsea and Udie pulled weeds together. The students in the VI part of Vaness got their hands deep in the dirt. Pulling out weeds from the beds especially in areas where we have overgrown vegetation. We have eaten a lot of Romain lettuce with Hummus because the kids…
New group of kids learning about compost. We took a poll as to what [a cup of worm castings] worm poop was just by looking, touching and smelling the worm castings. The students really were interested in what they could put in the Darth Vader like compost bin
This was a great exercise for the kids especially Udie. Chelsea the OT specialist at Vanes and I partner to play with our students at Vaness. Udie also helped to crush roasted eggshells for the compost.